Our Innovation Banking team, the senior team members of which have a combined over 40 years of industry experience, are active members of the technology entrepreneur and investor communities across the country. As such we are able to keep our fingers on the pulse of the industry, closely monitoring valuation trends, emerging technologies, and investor appetites.
Venture Capital (VC) Market Update – 1H18: On Pace to be Another Record Year for Investment
- 2018 has seen over $57 billion invested in the first half, which is on pace for another record year.
- $57.5 billion across 3,997 completed financings.
- 2Q18 was the 5th consecutive quarter with over $20 billion invested.
- The number of deals closed has been in decline since 2015, increasing the amount of capital per deal.
- Crystallization of a new ‘normal’ where capital is concentrated into fewer, larger deals; upward shift in deal size has persisted for nearly a decade across all stages.
- 94 financings of at least $100 million.
- More than just mega-deals; all stages are experiencing increasing deal size.
- Early stage deals ($10 to $25 million) are on pace to surpass $10 billion in 2018, the first time in history since VC stats have been tracked.
Venture-Backed Exits Continue Decline: Median Exit Sizes Continue Growth