Accessibility Quick Links
Deadline to make an HSA contribution
- Current year contributions can be made from January 1 until December 31.
- Previous year contributions can be made the following year from January 1 until the federal income tax deadline. This deadline is typically April 15 unless that date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, then the deadline is extended to the next business day.
- Individuals eligible for only a portion of the previous year may still contribute up to the contribution deadline.
- HSA eligibility requirements to make a contribution for the previous year:
- You were covered under a high deductible health plan (HDHP) during the previous year
- You do not have coverage under a separate non-HDHP
- You are not enrolled in Medicare, and
- You are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent on another individual’s tax return