Continuing the transition, from business owner to private investor.
Jun. 13, 2023
Position your business for maximum value
Clean up the financial statements
Verify that all human resource and hiring documents are up to date
Make sure your business is compliant with all legal and environmental requirements
Review other contractual arrangements
Improve corporate governance
Technology companies: Special considerations
Business broker vs. investment banker
Positioning for wealth planning strategies
Checklist for getting ready
A major shift in mindset about wealth
- Transfers to trusts, family LLCs and other entities
- Gifts through grantor-retained annuity trusts (GRATs), intentionally defective grantor (IDG) trusts and similar entities
- Charitable transfers and gifts
- Tax elections such as Section 83(b), which allow a business’s founder or an employee the option to pay taxes on the total fair market value of restricted stock at the time of granting
- Tried-and-true tax strategies, such as accelerating expenses and deferring income
Types of sales — and their implications
Asset sales and stock sales
Investment Products Offered are Not FDIC-Insured, May Lose Value and are Not Bank Guaranteed.
All loans and other extensions of credit are subject to prior approval. The CIBC logo is a registered trademark of CIBC, used under license. ©2023 CIBC Bank USA.